What are Christmas and Saint Nicholas’ Day without a delicious « speculoos » ? This cookie is a perfect match of your latte or tea on a cold winter day. This recipe took me back in time, I hope it does the same thing for you.
The speculoos of my childhood made vegan
- Oven tray
- Non-stick baking paper
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- 5 tbsp almond flakes
- Put the crushed flax seeds in a bowl with the water and mix. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Soften the butter (half melted).
- Add the water with crushed flax seeds ands the softened butter (see half melted). Knead the dough till all ingredients are incorporated (5 to 10 minutes).
- Wrap the dough ball in cling film and put it in the fridge.
- Let it rest overnight.
“The next day”
- Preheat the oven to 200° C.
- Flour your work surface and flatten the dough until the thickness is between 1 and 2 cm.
- Cut the dough into the desired shape(s) and put it on a greased baking sheet (on the baking tray). Repeat until all your dough is ready to bake.
- Brush your speculoos slightly with the soy milk. If wanted, you can sprinkle the almond flakes over the cookies.
- Put in the heated oven and bake for 10 minutes, watch carefully so the speculoos does not burn.
- Keep leftovers (if any) in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.
The values are calculated with an online calculator and are used as a reference. They may vary according to the products you’re using.