Chocolate mousse always reminds me a little bit of my childhood. I frequently ate it on the way home from school or during school recess. However a real recipe for chocolate mousse does not contain milks or added sugars, we also know that it is not plant based.
Today, I share with you a simple but effective recipe. This recipe is 100% plant based and only requires 3 ingredients: aquafaba, dark chocolate (plant based) and icing sugar. But, if you want, you can also add vanilla extract or powdered vanilla.
Aquafaba is for those who are not aware actually juice that comes with chickpeas. You can also use the ‘water’ of white or red beans. This “juice” has a similar composition as egg white, so yes: it is therefore ideal for whipping the egg whites. I mainly use chickpea juice for this recipe myself, but feel free to try another one.
You will need to pay a little attention when you buy icing sugar in the supermarket. It’s because some brands of icing sugar is not vegan. Some use additional egg white in order to make a real, bright and white look. So be sure to check the ingredients.
To choose the chocolate, it might be useful that, as a Belgian, I share with you a selection of chocolates which are vegan and on the shelves of your supermarket right? What do you think? A new idea for an article?
But, in the meantime (as we must wait when the whipped foam is in the fridge) we should start, right?
chocolate mousse in 3 ingredients
- Electric Mixer Hand Whisk
- 100 gr dark chocolate feel free to adapt between 75 and 100gr according to your personal taste
- 160 ml aquafaba
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder optional
- Put the aquafaba in the fridge for ten minutes if it is not chilled.
- Melt the chocolate in a water bath (in a bain marie) or use the instructions on your microwave if preferred and possible.
- In meanwhile, whip the aquafaba until a stiff and clouded volume. It takes about 3 to 5 minutes depending on the whisk you use.
- Add the icing sugar that will act as a stabilizer (like when you make a meringue)
- You can stop mixing when the whipped substance does not “fall” when you put your bowl upside down
- Gently fold in the melted chocolate into mixture
- Put your mix in 2 glasses or 4 small pots
- Let it chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour (but it can be better to put it there several hours)
Les valeurs sont calculées avec un convertisseur en ligne et sont données à titre indicatif. Elles varient en fonction des ingrédients que tu utilises.